Black Girls Don’t Tan, Do They?
For years, the allure of sun-bathing, sun-tanning oils, and the popularity of tanning beds has been pretty much lost on black women in general. But an increasing number have been embracing the idea of getting that glow. Instead of a golden tan, these women are going for bronze-and not from a makeup compact. I know a few people who have tip-toed discreetly in and out of tanning salons. But now that the safety of the UV rays from tanning beds has been questioned, black women who tan are also seeking other ways to get that bronzed glow.
On a recent episode of Braxton Family Values, Tamar Braxton took big sister, Toni to get a spray tan, in spite of Toni’s claims that she was already “chocolate”. Many may wonder if this is really a growing trend or if the Braxton’s are an isolated example. Mary Pettigrew, owner of Bronze Mobile Tan, explains ” Black people do tan, and since we are so many different shades of brown we all tan for different reasons.” [Someone of a] lighter skin [tone] may tan for color, while a person with a caramel or hershey complexion may tan to get a glow, bronzer or wet, dewey look. Celebrities may tan for special engagements, on stage performances, or competitions. Some celebrities that spray tan are Beyonce, Keri Hilson and Ciara.”
Some may wonder, why tan at all when you naturally are a brown color? Well, tanning is just another way to enhance your natural beauty, much like makeup. Tanning or bronzing can give your skin a radiance that won’t go unnoticed. While extended sunbathing isn’t recommended for health reasons, spray tanning is an option. For those of us who didn’t grow up tanning, at least not on purpose, it’s almost a culture unto itself. Here are a few things to remember :
- To avoid Toni and Tamar’s Ooompa Loompa look, make sure that your tanning provider uses a product that has a brown base, not orange or red
- A spray tan will last 5 -7 days. You can use tan extending lotions to help lengthen the days.
- You can also purchase bronzing oils that will give you a rich, deep color to legs and arms, or a bronze makeup to highlight your cheeks and forehead.
- As you tan during summer months, please remember to buy a new shade of foundation to compliment your sun-kissed skin.
- You always want to use sunscreen whether you tan or not, the sun’s rays are powerful and you can still be at risk for skin cancer.
- Make sure that your dermatologist gives you an all-over body scan to check for skin-cancer at least once a year whether you tan or not.
~Original MyBlogalicious post cross posted on Rainy Day Diva
Denise is the creative force behind the beauty blog, Rainy Day Diva. The online destination for beauty, style and inspiration-no matter what! Twitter: @RainyDayDiva ! She is also a champion of diversity in television and film for the blog For The Love of The Game, on Twitter:@Girl_TD