It’s Our 17th Wedding Anniversary: Still Standing STRONG
Some things remind me how LONGGGGGG we’ve been together.
How long? We’ve been married this long that:
1. We had our wedding video taped on VHS.
2. No Youtube or Facebook to share this ceremony or reception. No viral “first dance” video
3. We had to wait a week to see our pictures. No digital photos. We had “proofs” in a real book – not online like they do now.
4. We did not have mobile phones! So we had no immediate contact with each on our wedding day before the ceremony. Not even text messages.
5. We had a love song by Luther Vandross at the reception……he has gone on… sniff, sniff.
But WE are still standing and still in love…
(Which by the way, is a great new film by our friends Lamar and Ronnie Tyler of BlackandMarriedwithkids.com)
STILL STANDING features a range of African American couples sharing personal stories of how they’ve overcome obstacles in their marriages and been able to maintain their relationships. These obstacles include chronic illness, infidelity, finances, blended families, communication issues and more.
The new film project includes conversations with the husband and wife that make up the popular neo-soul music duo, Kindred the Family Soul; “Speech” Thomas from the Grammy Award-winning group Arrested Development and wife Yolanda and nationally renowned psychologist, Dr. Sherry L. Blake. See http://bit.ly/stillstandingperry
Why has our marriage worked:
1. We really LOVE each other…. (I am crazy about Marc Perry – I am still starry-eyed in love)
2. We really LIKE each other. There is no one in the world I’d rather spend time with. He is my best friend. (And he’s cute).
3. We would do anything for each other. I cook, clean and wash his underwear – whatever and he is always there for me. Marc is my protector, my hero, my superman.
4. We are patient with each other (though he is more patient with me than I am with him) – and we know how to laugh, tease each other and have fun.
5. We love who WE are in each other’s presence. We bring out the best in each other….and that’s the “chemistry” that only GOD put together for us.
So after 17 years, the thing most remarkable – we are surviving raising a teenager – who starts Driver’s training class on Monday. Lawdy! Lawdy!